Japanese

Familial exudative vitreoretinopathy and rhegmatogenous retinal detachment Yoshiko Okubo 1 , Akira Okubo 1 , Hiroyuki Shimizu 1 1Dept of Ophthalmology, Jichi Med Sch pp.1727-1732
Published Date 1992/12/15
DOI https://doi.org/10.11477/mf.1410901416
  • Abstract
  • Look Inside

We reviewed a consecutive series of 85 cases, 101 eyes, with familial exudative vitreoretinopathy (FEVR) and retinal detachment. The series com-prised rhegmatogenous retinal detachment (RRD) 90 eyes, 89%, traction retinal detachment 3 eyes and total retinal detachment resulting in blindness 8 eyes. Out of 90 eyes with RRD, 7 eyes had been operated elsewhere. In 68 eyes of the remaining 83 eyes, 82%, retinal breaks were located immediately outer to the borderline between vascular and avas-cular retina in the periphery. In the other 15 eyes, breaks were located in the vicinity of the border-line. All the 83 eyes were operated by scleral buck-ling procedure and external drainage of the sub-retinal fluid. Reattachment resulted in 68 out of the 83 eyes, 82%, after the initial surgery. Recurrences developed in the other 15 eyes, 18%, necessitating a total of 28 reoperations. Recurrences were due to newly developed retinal breaks located near the borderline in 13 of these eyes and due to prolifer-ative vitreoretinopathy in the other 2 eyes. Even-tual reattachment was obtained in 82 eyes, 99%. We advocate wide episcleral buckling and encircling covering all the avascular area in the periphery for eyes with RRD due to FEVR.


Copyright © 1992, Igaku-Shoin Ltd. All rights reserved.

基本情報

電子版ISSN 1882-1308 印刷版ISSN 0370-5579 医学書院

関連文献

もっと見る

文献を共有