Japanese

Treatment of blepharospasm and hemifacial spasm by botulinum toxin: Evaluation of the effect by recurrence and interval of treatment Keiko Hayashi 1 , Tetsuro Tsubouchi 1 , Waki Fujie 2 , Masato Wakakura 2 1Dept of Ophthalmol,Univ of Tokyo Grad Sch of Med 2Inoue Eye Hosp pp.699-702
Published Date 2004/5/15
DOI https://doi.org/10.11477/mf.1410100555
  • Abstract
  • Look Inside

We reviewed 571 patients who received injection of botulinum toxin A. The series comprised 346 cases of essential blepharospasm and 225 cases of hemifacial spasm. Interval of injection averaged 6.1±2.1months in cases of hemifacial spasm and 4.7±1.7months in cases of blepharospasm. The difference was significant(p<0.0001,unpaired t-test). There was no waning of effect after multiple treatments. In both groups,about 70%of patients desired to continue the treatment. The remaining 30%of patients dropped out because the treatment was ineffective or because of partial resolution which was more manifest in hemifacial spasm. The present findings show that botulinum toxin is effective for blepharospasm or hemifacial spasm.


Copyright © 2004, Igaku-Shoin Ltd. All rights reserved.

基本情報

電子版ISSN 1882-1308 印刷版ISSN 0370-5579 医学書院

関連文献

もっと見る

文献を共有